Encouragement from God builds us up and helps us to stay on track in our relationships with people. As a church, we have the great privilege of encouraging each other. This presents us with the opportunity at becoming excellent encouragers.
Encouraged by God and His Word
Can you describe from the following scriptures how God encourages us?
(32) The poor will see and be glad— you who seek God, may your hearts live!
(28) My soul is weary with sorrow; strengthen me according to your word.
(3) When I called, you answered me; you greatly emboldened me.
(4) For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through the endurance taught in the Scriptures and the encouragement they provide we might have hope.
(5) May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you the same attitude of mind toward each other that Christ Jesus had,
Encouraging Each Other
How do the following scriptures describe people encouraging each other?
(12) that is, that you and I may be mutually encouraged by each other’s faith.
(6) But God, who comforts the downcast, comforted us by the coming of Titus,
(7) and not only by his coming but also by the comfort you had given him. He told us about your longing for me, your deep sorrow, your ardent concern for me, so that my joy was greater than ever.
(25) not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.
(25) Anxiety weighs down the heart, but a kind word cheers it up.
(29) Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.
(36) Joseph, a Levite from Cyprus, whom the apostles called Barnabas (which means “son of encouragement”),
Why do you think Barnabas was given his nickname?
Ask a Friend
- How are we encouraged?
- Can you share a story about how you were encouraged?
- Why do you think it’s important to encourage other people?
- What are some ways you could encourage other people this week?
- Ask God to help you see the opportunities.
Lord, Help me to see opportunities to encourage other people. Help me to have ideas to bless people with my words. I want to change their day for the better, and maybe also bring them a little closer to God.
So encourage each other and build each other up, just as you are already doing.