Conversation With God
Prayer is a conversation with God. Just as communication is essential for any relationship, it is also necessary for our relationship with God. He would like us to be in conversation with Him all the time.
How Did Jesus Pray? (The Lord’s Prayer)
(5) “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.
(6) But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
(7) And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words.
(8) Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.
(9) “This, then, is how you should pray: “ ‘Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name,
(10) your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.
(11) Give us today our daily bread.
(12) And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.
(13) And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. ’
How should we pray?
How should we NOT pray?
What should we pray for? Write down the verses that go with each the following phrases:
- To honor God
- For God’s kingdom and others
- For yourself
- Forgiveness (Clean Heart)
How can we make our prayer effective?
Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.
“Have faith in God,” Jesus answered. “Truly I tell you, if anyone says to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and does not doubt in their heart but believes that what they say will happen, it will be done for them. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.
Turn Your Thoughts Into Prayer
A Lifestyle of Prayer
I thank my God every time I remember you.
How do we turn our thoughts into prayer?
pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
How often should we pray?
When should we pray?
Ask a Friend
- When and where do you pray? What do you pray about?
- What other questions do you have about prayer?
- What would be a good time and place for you to pray?
- Do you receive answers to your prayers?
- Think of one thing to thank and praise God for (e.g. for saving me).
- Think of one other person to pray for (e.g. a family member or friend).
- Think of one thing to ask in prayer (e.g. an exam coming up).
Jesus, thank you for listening to my prayers. I give my prayers to you, and believe you have the power to answer my prayers.
“I tell you, you can pray for anything, and if you believe that you’ve received it, it will be yours.”