When a building is being built, it is the foundation that holds the weight of the whole structure. So, the taller the building, the deeper the foundations need to be. And so it is when we build our lives on a strong foundation (God’s Word), the deeper we dig, the more weight we will be able to support. Therefore, the more we read, journal, meditate, memorize, and practice God’s word, applying it to our lives, the stronger our foundation will be.
Christian Foundation Stones – Part 1
(9) For we are co-workers in God’s service; you are God’s field, God’s building.
(10) By the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as a wise builder, and someone else is building on it. But each one should build with care.
(11) For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ.
Who is the primary foundation?
(42) They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.
The teaching of the Apostles and Prophets is an important foundation.
What did the believers do?
Are you planted in church and in a Connect Group?
Luke 14:28 (NIV)
(28) “Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Won’t you first sit down and estimate the cost to see if you have enough money to complete it?
Luke 14:33 (NIV)
(33) In the same way, those of you who do not give up everything you have cannot be my disciples.
There is a cost in building. Have you counted the cost?
(4) As you come to him, the living Stone—rejected by humans but chosen by God and precious to him—
(5) you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.
Who are we? What are we building?
(19) Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and strangers, but fellow citizens with God’s people and also members of his household,
(20) built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone.
(21) In him the whole building is joined together and rises to become a holy temple in the Lord.
(22) And in him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit.
Who lives in us?
- How has having these foundation stones helped you in the past?
- How can it help you today?
- Are there areas of my foundation that could be stronger?
- How can I strengthen these areas?
- Discuss and pray together.
Lord Jesus, I want to have a firm foundation. I ask for a heart committed to receiving your word and applying it to my life. I want my life to get stronger everyday and to be filled with joy.
“And now, just as you accepted Christ Jesus as your Lord, you must continue to follow him. Let your roots grow down into Him, and let your lives be built on Him. Then your faith will grow strong in the truth you were taught, and you will overflow with thankfulness.”