The Key to Growth
Obedience is an essential part of growing as a follower of Jesus. It shows our gratitude and love for God and brings freedom and blessing into our lives.
The Importance of Obedience
(22) Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.
(23) Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror
(24) and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.
(25) But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.
What does it mean to obey?
Jesus Teaches on Obedience
(46) “Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say?
(47) As for everyone who comes to me and hears my words and puts them into practice, I will show you what they are like.
(48) They are like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built.
(49) But the one who hears my words and does not put them into practice is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. The moment the torrent struck that house, it collapsed and its destruction was complete.”
Why is obedience to God’s word important?
What happens when we don’t obey?
Describe from the following scriptures what Jesus says about those who obey Him.
John 8:31-32 (NIV)
(31) To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples.
(32) Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
John 8:51 (NIV)
(51) Very truly I tell you, whoever obeys my word will never see death.”
(21) Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.”
Growing in Obedience
How are we motivated to obey?
(7) I will praise you with an upright heart as I learn your righteous laws.
(8) I will obey your decrees; do not utterly forsake me.
(1) Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children
(2) and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.
(8) Son though he was, he learned obedience from what he suffered
What is important for us to obey? And how can we encourage others to obey?
(1) As for other matters, brothers and sisters, we instructed you how to live in order to please God, as in fact you are living. Now we ask you and urge you in the Lord Jesus to do this more and more.
(18) Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.
(19) Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
(20) and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
(5) circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; in regard to the law, a Pharisee;
(6) as for zeal, persecuting the church; as for righteousness based on the law, faultless.
(7) But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ.
(8) What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ
(9) and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith.
(12) Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling,
Can you share a story from your life about obedience?
Do you have any other questions about obedience?
What is your biggest challenge in the area of obedience?
What can you apply to your life from this study?
Lord, I’m so thankful for everything you have done for me. There is so much for me to learn from your example of obedience, and I desire to grow in this area. Please help me to obey your word.
“Finally, dear brothers and sisters, we urge you in the name of the Lord Jesus to live in a way that pleases God, as we have taught you. You live this way already, and we encourage you to do so even more.”