Sex is so powerful that God warns us about sexual immorality
“Sexual Immorality” is the English translation for the Greek word “Porneos”, used in the original language of the New Testament. “Porneos” refers to all forms of sexual activity outside of marriage. This scripture also describes sex as a kind of super-glue that unites a couple so strongly that they become “one.” Sex creates intimacy on all levels; this is why we ought to protect it. This is why God wants us to be careful to only join ourselves to the one we are married to.
Why are there laws/commandments and how do we fulfill God’s requirements?
Adultery means sex between two people where either one or both are already married.
Why is adultery wrong?
What are the results of sexual immorality?
Other Negative Results of Sexual Immorality
– Physically hurt other(s) and yourself – Sexually Transmitted Diseases – the effects are many, permanent and severe. Chlamydia can cause sterility; another STD can cause cervical cancer
– Emotionally unable to trust or love someone because of past hurts
– Unwanted pregnancy and abortion (sterility caused by abortion(s))
– Guilt and shame
Wrong Thinking About Sex
– Wrong thinking, “lust and pornography are OK.”(Matthew 5:28)
– Wrong thinking, “anything goes” (no responsibility) (Proverbs 15:10)
– Wrong thinking, “sex is for escaping reality” (detachment) (Proverbs 14:27)
– Wrong thinking, “that’s what everyone is doing.” (Romans 12:2)
– Wrong thinking, “test drive before you make a commitment.” (Proverbs 26:18-19)
– Wrong thinking, “sex before marriage is OK because I will marry him/her eventually.”
– Wrong thinking, “if I say ‘no’ to sex before marriage, my girlfriend/boyfriend will leave me.” (Proverbs 11:22)
– Wrong thinking, “loosing your virginity for status (peer pressure) is OK.” (Proverbs 16:17)
– Wrong thinking, “sex for money, gifts, or convenience is OK.” (Proverbs 5:16-18)
– Wrong thinking, “my sexual identity – I was born this way; I’m an addict.” (Proverbs 15:10)
– Date Rape – Wrong thinking, “she wanted it because she went on a date with me.” (Proverbs 14:22)
Why does God care about our bodies?
As you can see from the lists above, there are many good reasons why God would want us to protect our sexuality. But in today’s society there’s pressure on people to give up their virginity before marriage. Those who became Christians later in life didn’t know God’s design for marriage and sex. Many guys and girls would have looked at pornography or have been sexually active outside marriage and thought it was normal. Perhaps this describes you. Perhaps you are regretting opening God’s gift for marriage already. Perhaps because of wrong thinking and wrong decisions, you are feeling shame and fear regarding marriage.
What can you do if you have already made mistakes?
(Note – if you have been sexually abused, this is NOT your mistake, but you may want to ask God to make you pure. It will help you to privately talk to a leader you trust).
How does God restore purity to us?
Ask a Friend
How important is sexual purity to you? Why?
Have you ever asked God to help you stay sexually pure?
How can you make sexual purity a priority in your life?
Lord, thank you for the great gift of sex. Help me to treasure this gift, and keep it safe for marriage. I commit my body and my sexuality to you. Help me to live in your ways.